How to set up a healing Sanctuary in your home for classes and private sessions.
Tips for making the most out of your virtual yoga and meditation classes.
1. Find a quiet, clean space within your home and make it special. Adorn the space with a meditation pillow, crystals, a candle, or a bundle of sage. If it feels warm and inviting, choose it for your space.
2. Choose lighting that feels comforting to you and/or fits your mood.
3. Be sure to let your loved ones know how long your class is. Ask that they respect your quiet time and give you space.
4. Props, props, props. The use of physical supports help you to access the yummy goodness of yoga. You can use props to assist healthy alignment, to go deeper into postures, or even to back off from a posture that feels too intense. Look to the experts—most yoga instructors use props liberally!
Invest in yoga essentials from the start. Hugger Mugger and Amazon are great stores to shop for items.
Prema suggests you keep the following props handy:
3 Blankets or Towels
2 Bolsters or Large Cushions
1 Small Cushion or Folded Blanket
2 Yoga Blocks
Yoga Mat (Choose a thicker, cushier yoga mat for Yin & Restorative classes. Choose a regular yoga mat for Gentle Hatha classes.)
We love Spotify! To receive an accompanying playlist for class, Prema suggests signing up with Spotify for only $9.99/month. Not to worry, you can listen to playlists without registering, but Spotify memberships give you commercial-free access to music.
5. It is best not to eat at least 2 hours prior to practicing yoga. If you must eat, make sure that it is a very light meal, such as a piece of fruit. Drinking water, tea, or coffee is fine at least 15 minutes before class.
6. Most importantly, take care of yourself. Listen to your body and trust your intuition. If something doesn't feel good, gently come out of a posture.
Prema’s yoga classes are designed to help you connect with your body, not fight against it. Be sweet to you and be safe. Prema is available both during and after class to answer any questions you may have.